2018 Road Trip - Day 09
Wednesday 09.12.18 - One More Day in Charlotte, North Carolina
|Raspberry Jam Filled & Maple Bacon|
We then drove 2 hours to the little town of Wytheville, Virginia to eat at Skeeter's World Famous Hot Dogs, where Millions of Skeeter-Dogs have been served to hungry travelers since 1925. Also, for you history buffs, future First Lady Mrs. Woodrow Wilson was born in the apartment upstairs. Shelly & I each had THE ONE AND ONLY SKEETER-DOG, a crisp red casing hot dog with the works.
Mustard, onion, chili, cheese, slaw + fries
|The Works & BBQ Sandwich|
Mustard, onion, chili, cheese, slaw
- The Works Dog - Unique red dog with good chili. The slaw on top was a new twist for me. I'll be adding this to my repertoire at home.
- BBQ Sandwich - I’m not sure if this was chicken or pork but it was some good fauxque.
- French fries - Frozen crinkle cut made in an old fry box.
- Cheap eats & worth the stop.
After lunch, I took a few photos up & down the street.
Big Pencil @ Wytheville Office Supply
146 West Main St., Wytheville, VA
Giant Paint Can @ Porter Paints - The Paint Store
130 E Main St, Wytheville, VA 24382
Then we drove about an hour south to Mt Airy, North Carolina, the hometown of Andy Griffith. While we were there we visited the Andy Griffith Museum. There is so much memorabilia here to see . Plus it also houses an exhibit on the The Original Siamese Twins, Chang and Eng Bunker.
Next, we drove another hour even further south to North Wilkesboro, North Carolina, in order to meet Domino the dog at Copper Barrel Distillery. We did not have time to take a tour, so we only sampled a couple of local root beers & bought a few souvenirs.
Copper Barrel Distillery
508 Main St, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659
Then it was time for another of Shelly's Roadside America sites. This time, a moose statue.
669 E Plaza Dr., Mooresville, NC
With all the good fortune we have had on this trip, I guess it was time for some bad news. We had heard about this cupcake joint, that sounded very intriguing. When we arrived, at Fu Manchu Cupcakes, there was a note on the door. We waited at least 15 minutes & no one returned to open the store. There's no telling how long the sign was on the door before we arrived. It's a shame, we were really looking forward to some cupcakes. It certainly did not ruin or trip, but it was still annoying.
So we cried (well Shelly laughed at me as I pouted) the whole way to our hotel. Again we had a free stay at Holiday Inn because of our IHG points. This helped me turn my frown, upside down. Plus they put us in a suite! This location is even better than last night's. Here they offer valet, bellhops, & shuttle service.
230 North College St, Charlotte, North Carolina 28202
There's an evening reception in the executive lounge for platinum members.
|Spinach Artichoke Dip|
|Membership has it rewards|
After that awesome welcome, it was time to get ready for our reservation at Sullivan's Steakhouse. We used to love their location, back home in Houston & were sad when they closed. Once I saw there was a location in Charlotte, it was a no brainer that we eat here.
|Neon lights the way to stupendous steaks|
|Venetian Cocktail - Knockout Martini - Water|
|Sourdough Bread & Whipped Butter|
|FRENCH ONION SOUP|
Gruyère, Swiss & Parmesan Cheese
|SHRIMP & LOBSTER BISQUE|
Shrimp, Lobster, Sherry & Cream
|22 oz. BONE-IN RIBEYE COWBOY CUT|
|BOURBON PEPPERCORN SAUCE|
|THREE CHEESE MAC|
Caposaldo Prosecco, Aperol, Q Grapefruit
Our Signature Martini: SVEDKA Clementine Vodka Infused with Fresh Golden Pineapple
- FRENCH ONION SOUP - huge bowl with lots of cheese, the bread still had crispy edges. Really beefy flavor
- SHRIMP & LOBSTER BISQUE - This may be my favorite soup for the simple reason that I love lobster & shrimp. The two of them combined in a thick creamy soup, is seafood heaven.
- 22 oz. BONE-IN RIBEYE COWBOY CUT - med rare w/ Bourbon Peppercorn sauce. The sauce was more like a gravy with lots of pepper flavor. Steak so tender melt in your mouth.
- THREE CHEESE MAC - the breadcrumbs on top added great texture.
- Our server April N, was awesome & her manager, Sarah checked on us about halfway through our meal.
- Great food as always, I really wish they were still open in Houston.
That's it for today folks. In the next issue, I'll tell y'all about more treasure hunting for Shelly's Select Salvage & some great BBQ we tried.