2018 Road Trip - Day 10
After sleeping in far later than we intended, we hurriedly ran out in search of BBQ. Along the way we happened upon Bank of America Stadium where the Carolina Panthers play.
Pictures are fun, but let's eat already! We rolled into Mac's Speed Shop ready to try some of the legendary Carolina style pulled pork BBQ. Our waitress Hailey, greeted us with a complementary basket of hush puppies. This was a great surprise. Turns out, hush puppies go great with BBQ. I really think we need to adopt this back in Texas. Everything on the menu sound good, so we ended up ordering several small things to share. Cracklins, deviled eggs, & of course some mandatory pulled pork served along with some magnificent mac n cheese. I was also finally able to try some Brunswick stew.
|Complementary Hush Puppies|
|Kick Ass Pork Cracklings|
House-fried pork rinds tossed in Mac’s Dry Rub with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
|Huevos Rellenos |
Deviled eggs with crumbled bacon and sliced, pickled jalapeños
|Hickory Smoked & Pulled Pork BBQ (small) with Mac 'N' Cheese, Brunswick Stew & Texas toast|
Dry rubbed then hickory wood smoked for 12 hours and lightly tossed with our Carolina BBQ sauce
- Hush Puppies - I’ve never had hush puppies with BBQ, what great addition.
- Cracklins - Served still crackling fresh from fryer. The rub added good flavor & went well with BBQ.
- Deviled Eggs - I’ve never met a deviled egg that I didn't like. The sliced jalapeno was a great twist.
- Pulled Pork - This was okay, not smokey or much flavor. Definitely had to use sauce.
- Mac N Cheese - The mac was amazing and everything mac should be.
- Brunswick Stew - The stew was good and glad we did as a side instead of a cup. Its stew nothing outstanding. Now I can say I have had it.
- I loved all 4 sauces & bought one of each to take home.
|Well Fed (4 protein combo platter) beef burnt ends, pork burnt ends, chopped pork, jalapeno sausage w/ mac n cheese, bbq slaw & Texas toast.|
|Pork Burnt Ends|
Caramelized cubed pork tossed in our house made Cheerwine BBQ Sauce
Crispy caramelized cubes of brisket tossed in our cola BBQ sauce
|Mac N Cheese|
|Pulled Pork & Hush Puppies|
- Sauces - These were awesome. I wish they sold them by the bottle.
- Jalapeno Sausage - This was good but, could have been hotter.
- Mac N Cheese - Nice, thick & creamy mac. They do it right!
- Beef Burnt Ends - This is one of my favorite BBQ items. No disappointments here.
- Banana Pudding - Straight forward old school nanner puddin'
- Pork Burnt Ends - I ordered this simply based on the menu description & that it was another first for me. The flavors were good, but the mouth feel was a bit off putting. I’d skip these next time.
- BBQ Slaw - this was an interesting dish, I prefer creamy slaw.
- Chopped Pork - boring until sauce is added.