2018 Road Trip - Days 17 & 18
#1 Criollo (inside Hotel Monteleone)
Our original plan was to dine at Cafe Du Monde, but with them only having outdoor seating & us planning on being outside the rest of the day, we opted to eat breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. This turned out to be a mistake, as we had an awful waitress that should probably find another line of work. She never once offered us refills. Two different people actually brought our food. I ordered an iced tea and she mumbled about it as she walked away. I had to ask about it again after we received our food and she said they were preparing it fresh. My tea finally arrived as I was finishing my meal. Other than the service, the food was overall okay.
|NEW ORLEANS BEIGNETS W/ PRALINE SAUCE & STRAWBERRIES|
These were good especially since it was inside with ac. The caramel sauce is served on the side.
|BISCUITS & GRAVY |
The biscuits were light but the gravy tasted like red eye
|SIDE ORDER OF SAUSAGE |
These were decent, but I prefer patties.
Built in 1831 by a German Jewish immigrant, Samuel Hermann, the Hermann-Grima House is one of the most significant residences in New Orleans.
#3 The Historic New Orleans Collection
|Bananas Foster Beignet Fries|
Our twist on two local favorites. Beignet dough cut into fries with sliced bananas and
topped with our rich Foster sauce of dark brown sugar, banana liqueur, and butter.
|free samples of pralines - a must while visiting|
|souvenir hot sauce & seasoning mix|
- Stuffed P&J Oysters - only 3 to an order, really? These are delicious. I enjoyed the tasty bits of shrimp and crab. Next time I would order a dozen of these!
- Cup of gumbo - nice dark roux. Very meaty, with lots of sausage. I prefer my gumbo with okra, I didn't taste any in this serving.
- Cup of matzo ball soup - chunky bits of veggies, very little bit of chicken, and a good size matzo ball. It was something different but I wouldn't order it again.
- Burger - This sounded and looked great. However, the bread fell apart and the patty disintegrated. Not much flavor and on the dry side. The fries were thin and crispy. I liked them more than the burger.
- Jumbo Louisiana Shrimp "En Cocotte" - wholesome, stick to your ribs food. Great flavors, rich & creamy. Again very meaty. My only complaint would be that they left the tail shells on the shrimp, making them a little difficult to eat.
|Stuffed P&J Oysters|
gulf shrimp and blue crab
|Seafood & Sausage Gumbo à La Creole|
|Matzo Ball & Roast Chicken Soup|
Allan benton's bacon, caramelized onions, tomatoes, Emmenthaler cheese with house made fries
|Jumbo Louisiana Shrimp "En Cocotte"|
roasted jalapeño cheese grits, andouille & green onion sausage
After dinner, we returned back to the hotel to pack up for our return trip home.
Friday 09.21.18 - Headed back home to Spring, Texas
- Me: Turtle Soup - Nice thick broth with lots of small tasty meat pieces. Great soup.
- Shelly: Soup du jour: Broccoli, cheese & potato - I like it cheesier and creamer, but good flavors.
- Oysters Bienville (served on a sizzling tray) Tasted like they blended all the ingredients & refilled the shells before baking. I never got any big pieces of actual oyster meat. Excellent flavors. I would order this again.
- Mozzarella Sticks - Huge glorious thick rectangles with stretchy cheese, Mmmmm. The marinara was thick and hearty.
- Original Pascal's Barbecue Shrimp - The Specialty of the house prepared in a spicy and tangy sauce. - whole shrimp, large and suckling the heads are a must. Some of the shrimp were overcooked. Prepare to get messy, they even put a bib on you to help. I like the flavors of spices and butter, but seemed a bit lackluster.
- Spaghetti Collins - What a neat recipe! It’s basically spaghetti mixed with a wine butter sauce and lots and lots of scallions. I would make this at home and serve with shrimp or chicken.
- Key Lime pie - sadly, it tasted like Marie Callender's
|Turtle Soup adding Crystal's hot sauce|
|Soup du Jour: Broccoli, Cheese & Potato|
|1/2 Dozen Oysters Bienville|
|Fried Mozzarella Cheese|
Served with Marinara
|Original Pascal's Barbeque Shrimp|
The Specialty of the house prepared in a spicy and tangy sauce.
|Key Lime Pie|
|mmmm, chips & salsa|
|Coog's Dip - our famous chile con queso topped with seasoned ground beef, fresh guacamole, pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream|
|Leo's Deluxe Platter|
2 beef enchiladas, chicken puffy taco, pork tamale
|Roosevelt Special (no fried egg) |
2 cheese enchiladas with a fried egg, refried bean chalupa, beef crispy taco